Journal 9: Teaching Green by John K. Waters (NETS I, II, III & V)

Monday, May 9, 2011

Jonh Waters introduces the concept of “Teaching Green.” In his article we see a number of sites dedicated to education urban dwellers about environmental education. It is fascinating to see how technology can help students understand about nature without leaving the classroom. I had the opportunity to live in a very rural community so I know much about the various topics discussed in this article. Yet it is surprising to see how much students miss out on if it was not for these sites. Sadly, these sites cannot replace the real thing; I believe students need to engage in outdoor activities in order to appreciate nature. I was a bit disappointed with “A Walk in The Woods”, It digital picture quality is not the best and zooming into the images makes it worse. On the upside, it does provide some interesting information about the woods.

Q1: Why is it important to teach green?
A1: Students should be aware of the environment that surrounds them. About the importance of a stable environment and how an imbalance affects the overall ecosystem.

Q2: How can I teach green in my classroom?
A2: I am very lucky to be residing in an area that has various trails and parks to visit. San Diego County provides great hands on experience in green.

Waters, John. "Teaching Green." Journal (2011): n. pag. Web. 11 Apr 2011.

0 comments:

Post a Comment